About Sandy Hook Promise
Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is a national, non-profit organization led by community members and several parents and spouses who lost loved ones in the tragic mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012 that claimed the lives of 20 first-graders and 6 educators.
Our intent is to honor all victims of gun violence by turning our tragedy into a moment of transformation.
The mission of Sandy Hook Promise is twofold.
- Prevent the causes of gun violence by educating and empowering parents to make changes in their community that will not only prevent tragedies like Sandy Hook, but also the hundreds of thousands of other acts of gun violence every year in every state. We will do this through our campaign, Parent Together, calling parents across America to put aside their differences and focus on the common bond we all share – the love we have for our children – and use this as a starting point to help find and implement sensible solutions to prevent gun violence and save lives in our communities and country. Focused in the areas of mental wellness, community connectedness and gun safety, these solutions include programs we can actively work to implement in our communities today, as well as policy actions that we can support at state and federal levels.
- Help our community through this tragedy by providing immediate and long-term financial, in-kind and other aid, on request, to families who lost loved ones, those wounded and others in our community impacted by this tragedy. We will also identify and support other non-profit organizations that can provide best-in-class services, treatment and support to help our community.
Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is comprised of two nonprofit corporations – SHP Foundation and SHP Action Fund. Two organizations allow us to fulfill our overall mission of researching and implementing sensible solutions to prevent gun violence as well as influencing legislators and engaging constituents in the legislative process and helping our community heal. This website refers to the two organizations collectively under our name, Sandy Hook Promise.
Because of legal requirements, there is some overlap in the work done within each organization in order to achieve our goals, but certain activities can only be done by one organization and not the other. A specific example of this is lobbying, which can only be done by the Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund.
You can make a donation to any or all of the Sandy Hook Promise organizations. Sandy Hook Promise does not endorse or provide funding for candidates running for public office.
Details of each organization:
Sandy Hook Promise Foundation is a 501(C)(3) organization. Contributions to the Foundation are tax deductible. Contributions will be used to:
- Raise awareness and educate Americans on the causes of gun violence – with a specific focus on mental wellness, community connectedness and gun safety.
- Build a national network of Promise Communities committed to implementing local, state and national change via our Parent Together non-policy programs (programs that do not require legislative changes / laws).
- Bring experts together in real and virtual roundtables to identify sensible community based solutions, programs and best practices.
- Promote and disseminate these programs through our Promise Communities allowing them to take action within families, communities (churches, other organizations) and schools. SHP will offer:
- Existing, evidence-based regional and national programs
- Short videos and webinars
- Simple tips and introduction to experts (via web or live)
- Offset costs associated with developing and implementing the above programs and standard administrative costs
All actions and programs will begin to be implemented in early 2014. Programs will build and change over time based on learning and feedback.
Sandy Hook Promise Community Fund: Within the Sandy Hook Promise Foundation, we have also created a restricted fund called the Sandy Hook Promise Community Fund. The SHP Community Fund is dedicated to providing immediate and long-term financial, in-kind and other aid to community members impacted by this tragedy. Funding is disbursed on a needs-only basis, which means that aid can only be given to those that request it. To designate 100% of your tax-deductible donation to the Sandy Hook Promise Community Fund to support victims' families and the community, please click here.
Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund is a 501(C)(4) organization. Contributions to the Action Fund are not tax deductible. Contributions will be used to:
- Help influence legislation (lobby) for state and federal policy changes, via Promise Communities and individuals who "make the promise," in the areas of mental wellness and gun safety.
- Examples of actions / costs that would be incurred include (but are not limited to) raising awareness, educating, engaging, meeting with legislators and/or constituents, research and preparation, advertising, paid-media, events, campaigns, social media and/or standard administrative costs.
Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) Foundation and Action Fund have overlapping, though not identical, Boards of Directors and Officers. SHP Foundation and the Action Fund will observe appropriate corporate formalities (for example, separate accounts, reporting, by-laws and charter) and any allocation of shared assets or staff will be performed in accordance with a formally set Cost-Sharing Agreement, which ensures that the Foundation does not subsidize any of the activities of the Action Fund or vice versa.
Advocate for Change
By uniting over one common bond – the love we have for all our children – we will put aside our differences and instead Parent Together to find solutions for our communities and country. Through education and awareness, we will shift attitudes and behaviors, focusing on both gun and non-gun owning parents, resulting in sustained engagement in the pursuit of solutions to prevent gun violence.
To achieve this SHP will:
- Raise awareness and educate parents on gun violence and the need for change
- Move the conversation from "gun control vs freedom" to "a parent's love for their child"
- Pursue holistic solutions – develop mental wellness, community AND gun safety solutions
- Unite and empower parents to implement change in their communities
- Provide proven programs and tools that will help prevent gun violence at a community level
- Mobilize communities to advocate for legislative action at a state and federal level
Sandy Hook Promise stands for the truth that our children will be protected and saved from gun violence only if our country's attitudes and behaviors change. SHP will lead this change through awareness, education and engagement in our communities, our states and our nation.
Help Newtown through this Tragedy
On request, provide financial, in-kind or other assistance to community members impacted by this tragedy. We will also identify and support other non-profit organizations that can provide best-in-class services, treatment and support to help our community.